It’s a new season and the stylist, homemaker, and academic in me is always scanning the horizon for what catches the eye and captures my fancy. Here are A Few of My Favorite Things #2.
Guys, take note: Mother’s Day is coming up in a few short months.
IN FASHION AND STYLE:
1. Cherry Tomato Red: Considered one of the top Pantone* colors for this upcoming season, I am having a huge crush on this color trend. In lip and nail color, on clothes and accessories, in the home, what makes a statement more than perfectly bold red?
You might say, Church Girl, I cannot possibly wear red, but oh, yes, you CAN, Darling! A bright, true red brightens your eyes, sets off your complexion, and gives you that little ooomph! of confidence. If you’re a little faint of heart, give it a try in an accessory to start.
I’ve also included below some other lovely colors that are making me drool.
Did you know? In fashion, red is often considered a neutral.
(*Click HERE for more about Pantone colors of the season!)
2. Fabulous Keychains: Keychains are a simple way of dressing up the ordinary and giving a little unexpected style kick. You can spend a lot or a little. I like mine bright and
big so that I can find them in my purse, pocket or around the house when they’re not on the hook by the door.
We have so many key sets and they all look the same! I’ve mistakenly grabbed The Elder’s to borrow his car to go to the library and the store and left him with my set (the one that has my library and grocery store cards on it!). #neveragain
The best part about a fun keychain is knowing at a glance which set is YOURS!
3. Long-lasting Makeup: From Wünderbrow to Cover Girl Outlast All Day Lip Color (in Signature Scarlet) to any of the NARS multi sticks (you can click on any of these items to link to them!), I dig not having to reapply what I put on before sunrise knowing it’ll last until after sunset. I have LONG days (and I know that you do, too!) and in the morning, I have to get ready for the long haul and whatever the day throws at me.
My new favorite long-lasting liquid eyeliner is by Maybelline – “Masterprecise Ink” in Galactic Metal. The applicator is perfect for making a fantastically easy cat-eye, the always-chic trend thanks to the likes of Audrey Hepburn and other fashion icons. (Click HERE to check it out!)
P.S. It doesn’t run or smear after crying through a really good sermon – just an added bonus!
IN FOOD AND TECHNOLOGY:
4. Enstrom’s Toffee: My mom sends me a box of Enstrom’s toffee every year from my home state, Colorado. It’s made with five pure ingredients and is some of the best candy I’ve ever had. I either have to hide it or give great warnings to the kids that this delightful manna from Grand Junction is to be enjoyed and savored, not consumed en masse! (Click HERE to see how this candy-making family makes each batch in their copper kettles then order yourself or a friend a box!)
5. A Color Story Photo Filter App: Do you ever wonder how people create such beautiful and unique photos with effects NOT found in IG or FB or Snapchat? Here’s a free app from the Apple App store that allows you to change your photos to look (almost!) professional. I used it on my cherry red photo above and my eggs photo below filtered with “Pop” and “Ice Ice”.
6. Ouí French Yogurt by Yoplait: Oh, Dear! Can you get your calcium, strengthen your bones, and have it taste like cheesecake, too? Yes, yes, you can. It comes in adorable glass containers you can later use for “shorty” drinking glasses or to create a small flower bouquet next to your bathroom sink. You will be writing me, Mercí, Church Girl! These are praiseworthy! once you taste it. Promise.
7. Eggs from my Girls: The days are getting longer and the hens have just started laying again after a long, dark, cold winter! I love going out to the coop and seeing who laid a little blessing for my family. Definitely one of my utmost favorite things.
BOOKS AND STUDY:
8. The LOOKOUT Magazine: Published by Christian Standard Media, this little Bible study guide will take you through the Bible in a year and it’s power-packed with incredible devotionals, book studies, and articles/stories that can help you rightly apply the character and mission of Christ. It’s what I’m using as Bible study these days when I’m not writing for sermons and series. (Click HERE to subscribe!)
9. The Masterpiece: You need a sweet read for Spring Break? The newest novel by renowned New York Times bestselling author, Francine Rivers, is finally here! Our Dear Frani “returns to her romance roots with this unexpected and redemptive love story, a probing tale that reminds us that mercy can shape even the most broken among us into an imperfect yet stunning masterpiece.” ~Amazon.com and Tyndale Press (Click HERE to read an excerpt and to order!) It’s excellent!
10. Colin Powell’s “It Worked For Me” audiobook on HOOPLA: First off, our local library has HOOPLA for downloading books and audiobooks. Download it at the app store! #amazingfreeresource
This book is incredible to listen to while you’re driving, getting ready in the morning, or working out. General Powell reads his own book in his own noble words and it is the BOMB, People! Learn more about leadership, history, and how to take care of people from one of the greatest military leaders of our time. It Worked For Me has many applicable, biblical lessons for people at any age and any stage.
So that’s it, My Top Ten Favorite Things of this season. Things that I consider lovely, things that are excellent and praiseworthy, noble and admirable.
“Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.” (Philippians 4:8)
Final Note: For the record, this isn’t a paid endorsement or advertising or anything like that. I just wanted to share some cool things that I fancy!
(Photo Creds: Leigh Mackenzie)